Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Aussie Foods!



This is a good song. The food it references (Vegemite)? Not so good.

I tried Vegemite a few weeks ago but, being the bad blogger I am, delayed writing about it until today. For those of you who either a) don't listen to Men at Work (FOR SHAME) or b) don't listen to any song lyrics ever, you probably don't know what Vegemite is. Before I got here, all I really knew was that it was an Australian food that most (all?) ex-pats try once and only once. So, obviously, I had to give it a go while I was here.

In a sentence, it tastes like soy sauce on bread. Vegemite is the product of the stuff that didn't make it into beer- they just ferment it again until it turns into a thick black paste. It's supposed to be totally good for you- full of B vitamins (some of which can help your brain, fun fact of the day!) but I feel like being forced to eat this daily would make me go insane. Yet people here love the stuff! They eat it on toast with lots of butter. I'm getting hypertension just thinking about it.

However, the Aussies save themselves with their version of ambrosia- the Tim Tam. Basically, these things are heavenly:


Chocolate cookie, chocolate creme filling, and chocolate outer coating. HOW CAN THIS GET ANY BETTER? The only way I see them getting better is if they put more than 8 in a box. Buying multiple boxes at a time makes me feel gluttonous.

Apparently some Aussies enjoy using Tim Tams as straws- Wikipedia mentions it here. Pro tip- don't try it with lemon tea. It's not a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment