Sunday, August 19, 2012

I use these updates to procrastinate.

The weather here has been so bad lately. I am pretty sure it's rained every day this past week, and I hate rain. I hate how lazy it makes me feel, I hate how it gets my clothes wet and then sticky when I have to sit through class, and I hate how it manages to make life just so miserable. So, when I signed up for a kayaking trip for today, I didn't want to get my hopes up too high. I was prepared for another cold and rainy Adelaide winter day.

Luckily, though, the weather (finally) started to cooperate with us today! WHOOP! We managed to get both blue skies and weather over 15 degrees. You cannot imagine how happy I was about that. Garden Island is not the most scenic of islands (it's the home of Port Adelaide's power plant), but it wasn't bad- the mangroves, even though they totally stank, were pretty, and there were some pretty nifty shipwrecks along the waterside. Plus, thanks to the power plant, the water was a bit warm. That's not super exciting until you realize that dolphins really, really enjoy warm water. In fact, they enjoy it well enough to frolic around kayaks. But the sassy things wouldn't get close enough to let me pet them without having to be afraid about falling over. I wish I could have taken some pictures, but my camera is anything but waterproof, and it's a pretty bad idea to take non-waterproof items and store them in a boat that will capsize. Oh well, maybe next time!

I'm really enjoying these outdoors adventures. I realize that there are probably similar adventures in College Station, and I kind of feel bad that I've been missing out. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions on what I might be able to explore once I get back, please feel free to let me know. And on that note, I should probably work on my Renaissance English paper. If I can write 250 words on kayaking in 10 minutes, I should be able to bust out 1000 words on Wyatt and Spenser easily, right? Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment