Monday, June 18, 2012

Australian Essays

When I was originally considering going to Australia this year, the adviser warned me that their style of learning was probably very different from ours. I blew off her advice- how can universal subjects be so different in another English-speaking country? I thought.

Well, as it turns out, they can be. I just signed up for a Renaissance Writing class, and so on my student portal there is a link for essay writing. It turns out that the essays I'll be writing are different than any essays I've written in the past 5-ish years (maybe even more)!

Here is a link to such a sample essay. They actually encourage this. My adviser was right!

What kills me is the introduction and the conclusion. All this "I will show," "as I have argued" stuff makes me cringe. All my teachers have forbidden me from writing like this since, what, the 6th grade? And I have to start writing like this now? Blurgh.

1 comment: