Thursday, June 14, 2012

I hate the way money works sometimes.

So, the thing about CISI insurance is that they don't have any plans that cover more than 12 months. This is a problem, considering my study abroad is 12 months and 17 days long. I hate how these things work. They also round up months, which I think is a complete scam but whatever. It's my health so I won't be taking any chances, thank you very much.

But it wasn't a big problem. Oh well, I thought, I'll just get two cards. One for an even period of time (in months) and the other for the rest of the time I'll be enrolled in the program. NBD. So I did just that.

FUNNY STORY IS, CISI decided to change their insurance policies effective July 31, 2012. Until then, it was 30.09 a month. After that date, it's 1.28 a day regardless of how long you stay abroad. This comes out to 39.68 a month. I was told this last semester, and it made sense.

However, what I didn't realize is that it's not when your insurance is in place, it's only when your insurance STARTS that this change matters. And this is where I screwed up (I realized this AFTER I bought my first few months, which led to lots of face palming):

By the way, nowhere on the site does it even mention it. NOWHERE. NO FREAKIN WHERE. For shame, CISI. For shame!

My purchases:
July 10 to December 10: $150.45 (30.09 rate, even though most of it is after July 31)
December 11 to July 27, 2013: $291.84
Total: $442.29

What I SHOULD have done:
July 10 2012 to July 10 2013: $361.08
July 11 to July 27: $20.48
Total: $381.56

Money I just got chummed out of: $60.73

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

TL;DR-
TIL that insurance is a scam, and I threw away 61 bucks in the process :(
With this luck, I bet I won't even catch a cold while I'm over there.


No comments:

Post a Comment