Friday, July 13, 2012

Some quick notes about Australia

  1. Their paper dimensions are totally different from ours. Apparently the international standard sheet of paper is an A4, which is about 1/4" skinnier and 1/2" longer than the usual 8 1/2 x 11 sheet we've all come to love. You would think it would be easy enough to standardize (standardise?) paper, but apparently it's not. So that means new notebooks, new binders, and less money for me.
  2. The cost of living is really high here. Our dollar is right on parity with the AUS dollar, but what all the conversion places don't tell you is that minimum wage is $20/hr over here. Thus, all the basics like food and toiletries (don't even get me started on clothes) are loads more expensive here. As an Australian, it's no big deal because I'm pretty sure things balance out. As a student with a very American income, it's a problem.
  3. Driving on the left side of the road causes more problems for pedestrians than you would think. Trust me on this one.
  4. I am paying way too much for rent. I will definitely be looking to live elsewhere after this semester.
  5. Jet lag is horrible! It doesn't help that the sun sets around 6:30 pm here. It's a little after 9 right now but it feels like it's 2 in the morning. Time zones are a bugger. I feel a lot better than I did originally, but it's still rough. I guess it just takes time.
  6. I think I found a gym, a bank, and a bike. I should be good to go after all that, right? I originally wanted to keep up with Muay Thai here, but the only place in the city charges $110 a month + $110 a year membership fees + $130 for a Muay Thai t-shirt and shorts. I would end up paying more than a thousand dollars for classes, so I think I'm going to go to a place closer to my apartment that offers kickboxing classes. It won't be the same thing, but at least I have the ability to keep up my fitness for whenever I come back to Texas.
  7. People really aren't vegetarians here. Vegetarianism is apparently a very American thing to do. I scheduled dinner with some distant acquaintances and they were going to prepare lamb. Once I said I didn't eat meat, she replied, "Oh, hm, I don't think I have any recipes for that. We don't really have them over for dinner." It's not much different from Texas, I guess :)
  8. Living in a city is a bigger shock to me than living in Australia. I have not gotten used to city life yet. I walk a lot (7,8 km a day) and I really enjoy that, but the people watching is completely different. So many people in heels and tights and black clothes- and most of the people wearing these are high schoolers! Transit gets a bit fussy too, and people do not smile to each other. These seem like they're all typical traits of cities, but it still strikes me as really different from anywhere I've ever lived before.
I'll make a more legitimate blog post next time. For now, though, I think this is it. I'm so sleepy...

No comments:

Post a Comment