Sunday, September 02, 2012

Happy Spring!

September 1st is the "official" first day of spring in Australia. I'm not completely sure why--spring equinox isn't until the 23rd--but my gosh, it's gotten beautiful outside. Lately, it's rained every day. The mornings will be lovely, but by 1 pm it'll rain and be windy and cold. But starting yesterday,  the weather has been nothing but pristine. The sun's been out and it's been in the low 20s. It feels like May feels back home :) My only complaint is that I just spent money on proper winter clothing here. Really, Adelaide? Now I need to spend even more money. At least I'll be able to get away with not doing laundry for longer now.

Yesterday the roommate and I cycled to Henley and Glenelg. It was my first time at the beach here. Henley is about 10 km west of the city, and Glenelg is about 3 km south of that. I think in total we biked around 25 km, not too shabby for one day. Henley's beautiful- white sand, not much development, wide beaches...it was a bit windy and the water was way cold, but it was worth it. Glenelg's beach wasn't as great, but there's a decent shopping area around with some awesome kebabs. Overall, we were at the beach for about 4 hours. I'm surprised I didn't burn, to be honest--I thought with the ozone hole I would have fried. The roommate definitely did today, though...guess that's just what happens when you're British.

Now that the weather is (finally) turning around, I am so pumped to go on some adventures. Spring break is 2 weeks away (crazy!) and I'll be going to Ayers Rock with 1 Canadian, 1 Frenchwoman, and 9 Germans. 9! There are so many Germans here, it's ridiculous. You almost think Germany's trying to colonise South Australia. But I really like everyone I know who is going on the trip, so it should be a lot of fun. We're taking these giant RV-type camper vans and staying for a week. No one knows exactly what we'll be doing, but I'm sure we'll figure it out. There's really only so much you can do in the outback.

The Black Keys are coming to Adelaide in the end of October. I really, really want to go--it would be completely sick to have them be my first concert. Trying to find others who want to go might be difficult (not many Europeans go to rock concerts any more, it seems) but eh, I'll deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment