Saturday, September 29, 2012

The end of break

I'm dreading for this Labour Day weekend to be over because, once it is, I have to go back to school. Apparently, the way I deal with this is by doing absolutely nothing, which isn't actually that good because all it means is that I have less time to finish the assignments my lecturers have given for the break.

Dear lecturers everywhere:
Do you really not remember what college is like? In what universe do you think students actually care about school during spring break?


Given, "spring break" is different in Australia than it is back home- I talked to some Aussie students in my classes and they said they usually just catch up on homework during the two weeks. Of course, they probably don't think Australia is as exciting as we international students do, but even in the States we usually find things to do over our spring breaks. Spring break is a time to go to the beach, not a time to work on a paper about elliptic curve cryptography. I mean, as fascinating as that sounds...

I have to say, though- this break was pretty brilliant. The first week was obviously fantastic with the whole road trip, but this week has been really nice too. Unigames has been running all this week, so Adelaide has been filled with other uni students. It's really easy to tell who's not from around here (oh, look at me, speaking like a local) because a) they all wear uniforms from their home schools and b) they're loud and drunk most of the time they're off the field.

Sometimes they play sports, though. I went to watch our boys play lawn tennis one day- bless their hearts, they lost every game, but I think it's less of a big deal when you only have to travel 2 kilometres to the venue rather than 1500. Most of the guys from Uni Adelaide were newbies to the sport, while the guys from Perth and stuff were super into the game. One guy from the other team kept on talking to himself the entire match, which is ok I guess, but he was loud enough that it seemed like he was trying to talk to someone else. Awkward. I think I may have accidentally responded to him once or twice.

Also, fun fact: apparently tennis began as lawn tennis? This is news to a girl who didn't even know lawn tennis even existed, let alone was the covering for Wimbleton. Shows you how much I follow the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment