Saturday, April 13, 2013

A taste o' Perth


The flight to Perth was long. Even though I've flown a lot, and I'm from the United States, it still amazes me how far away Australian cities are from each other. Adelaide to Perth took 3.5 hours- I think that is about the same amount of time it would take to fly from St. Louis or Chicago to Los Angeles. But I've definitely been on worse flights.

Mass transit in Perth is weird. (I think) there is only one bus that takes you from the airport to the CBD. This bus takes the most convoluted route any bus could take; the bus took a turn at least once every kilometer and spent most of its time on really dark, sketchy back streets. The roads didn't help, either. In typical Australian fashion, there were those useless traffic circles everywhere. I felt so seasick just getting to my hostel!

Once I got into the city, though, it seemed really nice. Like Adelaide, Perth is pretty clean and well-lit. And the weather was awesome- mid 70s with a nice breeze :) And, as far as I know, the city is friendly too! On my way to dinner, I met another guy from not just the United States, but from the Metro Detroit area, small world! Even though he studied at Ohio State (ssssssss...) we hung out for a while. It's always kind of nice to meet other Americans since there really aren't many around besides the few that have come to Adelaide together. Apparently, I was the only American he had met since the Superbowl. Dang...

The hostel was really cool on the outside: it was previously a military barrack (hence the name Old Swan Barrack Hostel). But when I checked in at 10, everyone in my room was already asleep! C'mon backpackers, what do you do if you don't explore or go crazy? Plus, some guy stole my pillow, so I had to sleep with my head on the kinda-gross duvet. What a weenie. Over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment